Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The "Juan" True Way

 Juan way, haha get it? I love Spanglish. This is a real street in Princeton N.J.

Springtime in Princeton N.J.


I met with Sister Bagley, the Branch Presidents wife, on Sunday at Stake Conference and she told me that she had talked to you. She really is so wonderful. I hope that you get to meet her one day. Her whole family gives their all to help us. It's amazing. We depend on them so much and they always pull through for us. I haven't received your package yet. Maybe today or tomorrow.

You asked about the people we teach so here is a little about those we are currently teaching. Right now, we have a 23 year old young man from Mexico, who has plans to be baptized on May 4. He is so prepared. I have learned to just love him so much. He means so much to me. He has so much faith and is willing to follow through with all of the commitments that we give him, however, Satan is working very hard with him and his family and the people that he lives with here. He is separated from him family, they are still in Mexico.  BUT he is prepared. I have so much faith in him. I'll send you a picture when he gets baptized. 

A 28 year old mom of 2 autistic twins, she works at a restaurant (that's how we met her. a member took us out to lunch and she was our waitress. We gave her a pass-a-long card and now here we are). She has a baptism date for this Sunday, but we are going to have to push it back. We haven't been able to teach all of the lessons yet. She is extremely prepared as well. She really wants to be baptized. 

A  40 year old man, from Guatemala, he is the brother of a member, and he has been taught for a really long time. The only thing that is stopping him from getting baptized is going to church. He works every day except Thursdays, so we have been praying so hard that he can have Sundays off and come to church. 

A 21 year old man, from Costa Rica, and he lives with a member family. Now he is taking the lessons with us. He just needs to come to church one more time before he is baptized. 

Another 40 year old man, from Guatemala. He has a very difficult life. Please pray for him. He drinks a lot and has an awful living situation. 

A  9 year old girl, born in America, but her family is Mexican. She had a baptism date for the 20th of this month, but last minute her mom decided that she couldn't be baptized because "being baptized in two churches is really bad" (she was baptized as an infant in the catholic church). We are just waiting for her mom to say yes. 

An Evangelical man, we met him in an appointment with another potential investigator. Turns out the other person we were going to talk to doesn't really have interest, but he is very interested. He is super friendly and has TONS of questions. It's actually really hard to focus on a lesson because he has so many questions :) haha. It's awesome. He has SO much potential. 

A family: They are a miracle. We had their name as a reference, so we knocked on their door on Sunday, but they wouldn't open it all the way. The mom came to the door and said "who sent you here?" We explained who we were and that we had their name as a reference from several months ago. Surprisingly they let us in and we began teaching a lesson. Immediately there was such a love that was felt between us. They offered to feed us, so we had dinner (a second dinner for us- learn this: if you eat with them...they will love you...so we did and it worked) and they seemed to be interested. They are very firm in their catholic beliefs, but right before we left, we asked if we could come back. They were so excited! They invited us back over the next Sunday and to their son's birthday party. We have plans to go and help, and hopefully find some new investigators. We love them so much!!! 

We teach a lot of less actives too. One of them actually came to church last Sunday! It was amazing! We had been trying to get him to church for YEARS. In one of the lessons we said, "So...hermano....we will see you at church this Sunday." He wouldn't commit. We called him everyday and read a scripture to him and then said "we'll see you at church this Sunday". He still wouldn't commit. All the way until Saturday night he said that he wasn't coming. Sunday morning we called him and he said "When is my ride coming. I've laid out my clothes and I'll be waiting when they get here". He came! It is very difficult for him to stay all 3 hours because his body is breaking down (he was a drug and alcohol addict), but he stayed all 3 hours. After church he said, "well....I came. You can't bother me about coming any more. I won't be coming back for a really long time." But in my mind I was thinking "well, if we got you here once, we can get you here again", so I told him "that's ok, we'll take this one step at a time. We'll see you next month". Once again, the process has begun. He'll deny that he is coming, but I have faith that he'll come again. This time we have a whole month to work with ;) 

I hope that helps give you a picture of what my life is like out here. It's the best life ever. I can't see myself doing anything else. 

Yesterday, I met with Elder Perry. He came to our All-Mission-Conference and shook everyone's hand. When he shook mine, he said, "Sister Childs....are you from the Salt Lake area?" I replied saying, "yes". He said, "That name sounds very familiar. I think I know some Childs in that area". I have not forgotten the time when we were having dinner next to him in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. I have remembered that ever since it happened. I'm sure he has forgotten, but I haven't :)

I'll be sure to send pictures next week in front of Princeton :) 

I love you!!!!! 

Hermana Childs

No comments:

Post a Comment