Monday, November 24, 2014

Great Week




This week was super cool. I received a lot of revelation and had some really fun experiences. 
On Miercoles I went to Specialized Training with Hermana Vernon. This is where the trainers and their trainees go and have a meeting with the president. It's super fun!!! We enjoyed a nice day together, but missed Hermana Carter. We felt incomplete without her. After the meeting, I came back to Jersey City feeling much better, more refreshed and energized to do missionary work. 

I have been trying to consecrate myself to the Lord again. I am past my 9 month mark and I want to keep going strong, so I have tried to rededicate myself to Him and this work every day this week. I have seen progress, not as much as I'd like, but I can see that Heavenly Father is blessing me slowly. 

Thursday, we went on splits. Sister Carter and Sister Vernon went together for a couple of appointments while I went with a member and taught other lessons. During this time, my companions went to go visit Nicolas. Well....things just didn't seem right. He has completely lost interest in everything and now is back to square one of trying to decide if God exists. It was very sad to see. We have been very prayerful on what we should do with him and during the appointment my companions felt that it was right to drop him. I was sad, but I knew it's what he needed. 

Friday, all of our appointments cancelled on us. We went and knocked on a door to our less active and before opening she yelled, "who is it?" We replied "the missionaries", she then yelled back saying that she wasn't home. It hurt. That night was SUPER FREEZING  and the coat I had on wasn't warm enough. One of the members in our area saw this and told me to come over to her house right away. She then pulled out her warmest coat (a huge bear looking coat) and gave it to me. She said, "I want you to wear this. Your coat isn't warm enough here. Take this and keep it. When you leave this area you can pass it onto another missionary.” I was so grateful. I'm almost positive that coat saved me that night. 

Saturday we spent at Ellis Island. Hermana Vernon was unable to come with us  because she didn't have her badge yet, so she went with the sister training leaders while Hermana Carter and I went to go serve there. It was SO fun. There weren't many people, so the director allowed us to tour the museum and to see the video clips (which are approved by the president) of how Ellis Island came to be. It was amazing. As we walked around, we passed by several members. Some of which would come up to us and talk to us about where they were from, the children they had on missions and how proud they were of them. Haha. I thought of my own mom :)  It was awesome. Other people we walked by made us feel like celebrities as we walked by because they would say, "Hey! There's the missionaries!" or "look! It's the sisters!" hahaha :) I love being a missionary :) :)  

Sunday was probably one of the best days ever. We went on a split with 2 members. We taught a ton of lessons, had just enough time to finish our studies, and we also received blessings from the Bishop. The Zone Leaders made it a goal to be more consecrated this month and one of the ways we will do that is by getting a blessing from the Bishop. This was super awesome for me! It was in Spanish!!!! :) The blessing began and I was promised many wonderful things. I was told that I was doing all in my power and that I didn't have to worry any more. I had done my part. That was comforting to hear. I was then told that all of my friends on the mission will be my friends forever :) Another huge blessing. :) But the most surprising thing was that after the blessing had listed off all of the blessings I would receive, I was called to repentance. Heavenly Father literally told me, "Hermana Childs....you need to repent." I was baffled. I couldn’t think of a single instance where I had been disobedient that entire week. It puzzled me for the majority of the day. What did Heavenly Father mean? As I thought about it I finally came to the conclusion that I need to repent of my pride. ALL of it.  I have been trying to scrape away the pride that I have through the humbling experiences, and by submitting my will, but I think I have been holding on to a little bit. I am willingly giving this to Heavenly Father now. 

I felt much like Joseph Smith, as even he was called to repent. That alone was humbling. 

The mission experience in general has been one of the best and most humbling experiences I've had. I love it. I'm becoming soft in the maker's hands. 

I love you all so much! Big hugs to everyone!

Hermana Childs

No comments:

Post a Comment