Monday, November 17, 2014

Las Tres Amigas








  
Hermana Vernon, Me, Hermana Carter

I have the greatest companions in all of New Jersey. 

They are loving, sweet, selfless, oh-so-funny, hard working, disciples of Christ. It is a blessing to be their companion and trainer.
I have learned so much from each of them this week. From Hermana Carter, I have learned how committed she is to being obedient. She is a hard worker. I love her for it. From Hermana Vernon, I have learned the power of trusting the Lord, even in the little things. 

How could one not be grateful with companions like that??

We have had our struggles this week, but we have had so much fun over coming together. Our companionship has been transformed into a friendship. 

For example, this month we have really put an emphasis on contacting people in our area. We are struggling with finding solid investigators, so through contacting are putting our trust in the Lord that he will put someone in our path. We have taken contacting quite seriously and have literally opened our mouths and declared the gospel in every moment. 

"...for the time has come that it is expedient in me that you shall open your mouth to declare my gospel; therefore, fear not..."  Doctrine and Covenants 30: 5

"And your whole labor shall be in Zion, with all your soul, from henceforth; yea, you shall ever open your mouth in my cause, not fearing what man can do, for I am with you. Amen." Doctrine and Covenants 30:11

Sunday morning we planned to pick a less active up for church and take the bus with her. Sadly, she didn't answer the door or the phone when we arrived. We waited a few minutes, knocked and called again, but nothing. We were going to be late to church, so we went to the nearest busy street and flagged down a bus. (Here in Jersey, you don't wait at a bus stop for the bus. You wait along the side of a main road and when a bus comes down the street you wave and they'll pick you up. It's much like a taxi) When we got on the bus, we all sat down. I sat in the front. I have had a goal to bear my testimony on a bus since I got to this area, but as soon as the opportunity arrived my stomach  filled with knots. I knew if I waited too long it would be too late. So with all of the courage I had, I leaned over to the bus driver and presented myself as a representative of the Lord. I cordially asked him if it would be alright if I shared a message about Jesus Christ. He of course spoke Spanish and said that he would love it if I would. I turned around to the bus full of people and began my testimony. My companions were shocked, but smiled at me in support. After I was finished, I closed in the name of Jesus Christ and a few members on the bus even joined in to say "Amen". That simple testimony lead to 2 new investigators! 

I have thought a lot about my calling as a missionary this week. I think my mission scripture says it best:

"Behold, am disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. havebeen called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."  3 Nephi 5:13

I only have 18 months to declare repentance and invite others to come unto Christ through baptism. These first 10 months have been incredible, and I know that the next 8 will be used to capacity. 

I have loved this work with everything that I have this week...and it feels so good. It's even better with two best friends.

I love my job :) 

Hermana Childs

My Darling Best Friends

Hot Chocolate On A Freezing Day After Teaching Piano

No comments:

Post a Comment